Wednesday 1 January 2014

Top 10 Best Anime I saw in 2013

This time, I will be quickly commenting on the 10 best anime I saw in 2013. In my opinion, 2013 was a great year for anime; it had a lot of great ones! On this list, will be the best anime I SAW this year, NOT the 10 best that CAME OUT in 2013.
Like all previous lists, this list is totally opinionated, so if you don't agree, then feel free to comment your best anime you saw 2013, in the comment section below.
Now, before starting, I will say this: I have not watched Attack on Titan, yet. As a result, it won't be on the list. So, please do not rage.
Let's get to it.

10) The World God Only Knows: Goddess Arc (Release: 2013)


Following the 2 previous seasons, the Goddess Arc enters a new and different direction. The whole conquest idea still remains, but a more serious and emotional tone appears, which rises the greatness and uniqueness of the show even more. The animation is smooth and beautiful, the music is great, the characters are very nice, while the voice acting remains fantastic. I also liked the fact that Keima slowly becomes like a more normal boy. And the ending... the feels... the feels! So many feels! Great anime overall and the 3rd season made it even better.

9) Utawarerumono (Release: 2006)



Entering 2014, Utawarerumono starts becoming a bit old, but the epicness of the show will never change. For a 2006 anime, the animation is very great and is quite detailed. The characters are amazing with great personalities, the best one being the protagonist, Hakuoro, hands down one of the most subtle anime characters ever. The story that this show follows is well-executed and compelling. I was eager to see more, as we slowly learnt more about Hakuoro. What I also love a lot about it, is that it contains a bit of almost every single genre: action, adventure, romance, drama, comedy, mystery, harem, sci-fi, mecha and fantasy. And it manages to balance them very well, so nothing stomps on another. Great show. I recommend it to everyone.

8) Black Cat (Release: 2005)



An even older anime than Utawarerumono, but the epicness is even greater. I consider it as my favourite and best shounen I've seen. It has the best anime main trio until now: Train, Sven & Eve. The main characters are entertaining, the main villains are amazing, the action is great and the comedy is funny as hell. The animation is well done and has many "color beams" that adds to the intensity of the dark and dramatic moments. The story is well executed and follows a nice direction. The last episodes were a bit disappointing for me, but it doesn't change the fact I loved Black Cat.

7) To Love-Ru / Motto To Love-Ru / To Love-Ru Darkness (Release: 2008, 2010 & 2012)




To Love-Ru is, in my opinion, the best ecchi harem comedy anime ever. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the show. Although the comedy mixed with the ecchi scenes feels and is generic, it is actually very funny and entertaining. I never got bored; I never had enough. Rito has SO MANY girls to choose from; Lala, Haruna, Momo, Nana, Run, Yui, Yami, Mea and even Mikan is a possible route. Very nice animation, great and likeable characters, amazing comedy, the ecchi has reached god levels, without being rubbed onto your face non-stop, which I definitely prefer. And... dat Momo tho. Momo is just amazing. For me, she is hands down the most entertaining character of To Love-Ru. Harem plan, go for it!!!

6) 11Eyes (Release: 2009)



I liked this anime the moment I read the description. And when I started it, I was liking it more and more and more, until I finally loved it. This anime is so underrated and disliked for reasons I still cannot understand. But anyways, I personally enjoyed it a lot. I liked everything: great characters, amazing skillfully constructed story and setting, great animation that switches fantastically well between the 2 worlds, some of the best music in anime ever, great character development and a good subtility; combined with an ominous atmosphere that worked very well with the twisted storyline. The suspense in this show was gold and I was always eager to see more, especially in the last episodes where a lot of drama/tragedy takes place.

5) The Sunday Without God (Release: 2013)



Aside from TWGOK, this will be the only 2013 released show on this list. Where should I start... Well, first of all, this show is simply put, unique. Unique! I haven't seen or heard any other anime do something like that before. Mixing amazing characters where almost every single one of them has a reason for being there, superb and unique story divided into 4 small arcs, breathtaking and beautiful animation, fantastic music and climatic and great dramatic moments that almost made me cry at some points, this show got a level of perfection. The ending made some people angry, but I personally liked it a lot, just like the whole show. Definitely a must-watch. This anime could be the gate to a new era of anime; and if it is, it starts very well.

4) Toradora! (Release: 2008)



Toradora! was the first anime I watched in 2013 and, it couldn't start in a better way. Toradora is, without a doubt, one of the best romance/comedy/slice of life/drama of all time together with Clannad and Sakurasou. The characters are very realistic and likeable and the relationships between them are well-executed. The comedy is great, the drama tearing, the animation beautiful, the romance amazing. The romance/drama is executed wonderfully and the characters' actions and reactions are realistic. Like I said in my review, my only real problem was that the drama was sometimes over-pushed.

3) Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Release: 2011)



The true definition of genre deconstruction, PMMM is of the best anime ever without a doubt. This anime is completely different from generic Mahou Shoujo anime. Instead of being cheerful, happy, with bright colors and a happy ending, PMMM is a drama, psychological tragedy thriller with much darker colors. The only identical things are the magical creature and the magical outfits. Everything else is different, which made me love it to no end. The characters are amazing and get through a real development, the animation is pure gold: dark and beautiful, the music is superb and story is very psychological, dramatic and dark, and made me think about the real meaning of a magical girl and how they should really be. Epic masterpiece: should be watched by everyone.

2) Steins;Gate (Release: 2011)



"El Psy Congroo!". "I am mad scientisto. Is so cool! Sonuvabitch!". "Kurisutina!". "HOUOUIN KYOUMA!". So many memorable quotes in this anime. IMO, Steins;Gate was, together with PMMM, the best anime of 2011. It seems rather normal at first, but it soon gets a very twisted storyline, with tragedy, drama and run against time. The time travel element is fantabulous and very well executed, adding to the whole dramatic aspect of the series. The animation and music were fantastic, matching each scene and situation wonderfully. An epic masterpiece with awesome characters, who all added elements to the story, even the Nyan-girl. Nothing can be said about the story, except that it is unmatchable and unique. Must-watch.

1) Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo (Release: 2012)



Sakurasou is my 3rd favourite anime ever and, by far, my favourite romance/comedy/slice of life/drama anime. For me, Sakurasou is Toradora! on a Mega Mushroom. It may seem a bit generic at first, but it soon turns out to distinguish itself from others, through its fantastic, likeable, enjoyable and amazingly well-developed characters and its unique slice of life theme: failures in life and the clash between hard-workers and genuises. The animation is not simply beautiful; it is GORGEOUS and unmatchable in romantic comedies. The music is so beautiful and completely matches every scene at perfection. The voice acting is sublime and adds to the greatness of the characters. A true masterpiece that should be watched by everyone, especially romantic comedies lovers.


This ends my fourth top 10. I hope you enjoyed it. Feel free to comment, if you want to express your opinion on this list or your personal strongest anime characters. Thank you for reading.

Youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/scorpy163
MyAnimeList account: http://myanimelist.net/profile/PureShadow


No comments:

Post a Comment